How To Make White Beans, Sausage and Greens "Stoup" By Rachael
How To Make Hot and Sweet Sausage Ragu with Rosemary and Pecorin…
Sweet and Smoky Casserole with Sausage, White Beans, Tomatoes an…
Riggies with Greens and Beans
How To Make Italian Fried Rice By Rachael
How to Make White Bolognese Lasagna by Rachael
How to Make Pork Paillard With Warm Winter Greens Salad by Racha…
How To Make Tomatillo Tostadas with Refried Beans | Rachael Ray
How To Make Chicken Cacciatore By Rachael
How to Make Ribollita By Rachael
How to Make Rolled Turkey Meatloaf and Autumn Spiced Tomato Sauc…
Rach's hearty "stoup" of beans, sausage, and greens is a one-pot wonder.
Heads up, cooks: You can use 'Nduja or Spanish sobrasada paste (about ¼-⅓ pound), as a substitute for the sweet or hot sausage in this soup. Melt it into oil, then add onions and proceed with the recipe.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 pound sweet or hot Italian fennel sausage, cut from casings
- 1 parsnip, peeled and chopped
- 3 ribs celery with leafy tops, chopped
- 1 small bulb fennel, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3-4 fat sprigs of rosemary, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- A chunk of rind of Parmigiano-Reggiano or a chunk of edge of Pecorino Romano, plus grated cheese to pass at table
- 5-6 cloves garlic, sliced or chopped
- 1 cup semi-dried tomatoes, chopped, or reconstituted sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 bunch escarole, coarsely chopped, or stemmed mustard greens or kale, chopped
- 1 large or two 14-ounce cans cannellini beans
- 2 quarts chicken bone broth
- Crusty bread, rubbed with garlic, topped with EVOO and sea salt, to pass
- Minced white onion, to pass (optional)
Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat, add EVOO, 2 turns of the pan. Add sausage and brown and crumble and crisp, or melt sausage paste. If you're using the sausage, remove from pan to drain on towels once browned.
Add parsnip, celery, fennel, and yellow onion to pot, and season with rosemary, salt and pepper. Add rind of cheese to pot and partially cover and soften 7-8 minutes. Add garlic and tomatoes to the mix, stir 1 minute, add greens and wilt them into other ingredients to combine, then add beans and broth and bring to a boil. Reduce to low heat and gently simmer until ready to serve with crusty bread, grated cheese, and white onion to pass.