Actress and dancer Jenna Dewan-Tatum stunned Instagram a few years ago with her beautiful, dreamy unicorn-inspired Halloween costume.
Now, celebrity stylist and salon owner Gretta Monahan is her to show you how to recreate the look at home! (Spoiler alert: It’s easier than you might think!) “More is more on Halloween makeup,” Gretta explains, so break out your leftover makeup of all those bright colors that you never wear anymore. To achieve this look, you’ll want to use glitter, shine and mixed textures—but you can do it using makeup you already have!
1. Apply primer. This creates a protective seal on the skin and will help your colorful look last longer. To get the dreamy, pale canvas on your skin to work with, Gretta recommends mixing in a very pale shade of eyeshadow with your primer or moisturizer.
2. Then, Gretta starts covering the eye with the color of choice. She’s using a lilac shade, but it doesn’t have to be exactly these pigments. “This is makeup you already have," she says, "so work with what you have! It’s your look!”
3. Continue to build the layers of color around the brow bone and across the face, using a small brush for application. Small brushes allow you to get a lot more pigment, Gretta explains, which means more POP for the finished look.
4. Once you’ve applied the color, blend a little bit, but not too much since the look is meant to be very mystical!
5. Next, apply lip color. This is a great opportunity to use those “too-bright” colors that you don’t want to wear the rest of the year—or one of those broken lipsticks you’ve stashed away. Gretta recommends layering the color so that you don’t need to reapply throughout the night.
6. On the eyes, Gretta uses dark mascara as liquid liner, applied with a small brush. “A little darkness on the lash line makes the lashes look thicker instantly,” she explains. “It makes all of this shimmer, shine, and pastel look high-contrast and really bold!” (You can also top off the look with fake lashes!)
7. To get perfect unicorn hair, put your hair in a high ponytail and spray the top with canned silver hair-dye. Add a colorful wig or hairpiece and you’re all set!