"Cake Boss" Buddy Valastro's egg balls — ie. vegetarian meatballs, or what Rach calls "garlic bread balls" — are essentially meatless "meatballs."
"This started back when my grandmother had eight kids [and] she couldn't afford to buy meat for meatballs," Buddy Valastro says. "Once you've had them, you don't go back."
Buddy's Pro Tips:
1. When you roll the egg balls out, put a little olive oil on your hands so they don't stick.
2. When you put the egg balls in the sauce, don't stir them! That way, they cook through and the egg firms up nicely.
- 12 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups grated Parmesan
- 2 cups seasoned breadcrumbs
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- A small handful parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl. Mix until the consistency matches a thick cream. Let the batter sit on the counter for 10 minutes.
Form the mixture into balls and drop right into boiling marinara sauce. Poach them in the sauce for 8-10 minutes, or until firm.