Did You Know That These Seemingly Harmless Holiday Decorations Can Be REALLY Dangerous for Your Cat?

This video is unavailable because we were unable to load a message from our sponsors.

If you are using ad-blocking software, please disable it and reload the page.

They may sparkle and shine — but don't be fooled!

While lots of people — especially vintage holiday decor lovers — are all about sprinkling a healthy dose of tinsel on the tree, if you have a cat at home, you better be careful!

RELATED: How to Protect Your Dog's Paws From the Snow, Salt and Ice!

According to veterinarian Dr. Courtney Campbell, cats who chow down on those sparkly strands may do so at a cost!

"The problem is that it will glom up in the intestine, causing obstruction," says Dr. Courtney.

And it gets worse: "[Tinsel] is in a line, and when we see a line like that, it can slice through the intestine."

RELATED: Are Poinsettias Really Toxic for Your Pet?

Dr. Courtney compares it to using a wire to cut through your favorite hunk of cheese. Great for cheese — but not so good for kittens!

His solution? Grab beaded garland instead. "Good example of a way to say, 'You know what? Let's skip the tinsel'"

RELATED: How to Help Your Dog Deal With Noise Anxiety Through the Holidays

Rach says she loves to use that on her (nine!) trees at home!

For more potential holiday pet hazards, check out our handy guide below:

Rachael Ray Show

You Might Like