Serve with toasted crusty bread and/or with poached or fried eggs for easy elegant meal or spoon on top of French bread, top with mozzarella or Gruyère and bake for French bread pizzas. Or, freeze and use later on in Ratatouille-Stuffed Roasted Garlic Potatoes, Ratatouille & Ricotta Stuffed Peppers or Ratatouille Frittata.
- 2 firm, medium eggplant, peel half the skin off then dice into bite-sized pieces
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 rounded tablespoon Herbes de Provence, a palmful
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 4 large cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 3 medium zucchini, about 2 pounds, seeded and diced into bite-sized pieces
- 2 red bell or mild frying peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 32-ounce can plum tomatoes, crushed by hand
- A few leaves of basil, torn
- 1/4 cup, a fat handful, chopped flat-leaf parsley
Preheat oven to 400°F.