- 1 whole 3- to 4-pound chicken
- 2 large bay leaves
- Bundle of parsley or parsley stems
- 1 parsnip, halved lengthwise
- 2 carrots with leafy tops, coarsely chopped
- 2 ribs celery with leafy tops, halved
- 1 onion, halved
- 1 bulb garlic, halved
- 5 to 6 peppercorns
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 2 tablespoons EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 large leeks, quartered lengthwise then whites and light green tops sliced into half-inch moons
- 3 carrots, diced
- 1/2 pound egg noodles
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- A handful dill, chopped
- 1/4 cup parsley, finely chopped
Place ingredients for the stock in a large pot, cover with water (about 4 quarts) and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a low, rolling boil and cook 1 hour, turning the chicken occasionally.
Remove pot from heat, cover and let chicken cool in stock to room temperature. Remove chicken and separate the meat from skin and bones; pull into bite-sized pieces. Strain stock.
Heat a soup pot over medium heat with EVOO, 2 turns of the pan. Add leeks and carrots, sauté to soften. Season with salt, add stock and bring to a boil. Add noodles and cook 5 minutes. Add in shredded chicken, lemon juice, dill and parsley to serve.