- 4 large poblano peppers
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 large cloves garlic, finely chopped, divided
- 2 large jalapeño peppers or 3 serrano peppers, seeded and finely chopped, divided
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 cup chicken stock or water
- Cayenne pepper sauce, such as Frank’s Red Hot, to taste
- 1 rotisserie chicken, bones and skin removed and meat pulled or chopped
- 5 large tomatillos, rinsed and finely chopped
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- A handful cilantro tops, finely chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 bag yellow or white corn tortilla chips (I use Que Paso brand)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups (8 ounce brick) shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1 1/2 cup (8 ounce brick) shredded yellow cheddar cheese
- 2 cups thinly shredded red or white cabbage, to serve
- Pickled jalapeño pepper rings, to serve
Char poblanos under the broiler or over an open flame on a gas burner until skins blacken and bubble. Let cool in covered bowl then peel, seed and thinly slice; reserve.
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Heat a skillet over medium heat with olive oil, 2 turns of the pan. Add onions, 2 cloves garlic, 1 jalapeño or 1 1/2 Serrano peppers, salt, pepper and cumin. Stir to soften a couple of minutes then add stock or water and bring to simmer. Add chicken and the hot sauce, reduce heat to medium-low and let liquid evaporate into chicken. Keep chicken warm.
Combine remaining garlic and jalapeño or Serrano with tomatillos, red onion, cilantro, salt and pepper, dress with lime juice and reserve.
Warm chips in oven to and lightly toast, about 5 minutes.
Heat a saucepot or another skillet over medium heat and melt butter. Whisk in flour, season with salt and pepper then whisk in milk to thicken. Add cheeses and stir in a figure-eight motion with spoon to melt.
To serve, top chips with queso sauce, chicken, poblanos, cabbage, tomatillo salsa and jalapeño rings.
Huevos Rancheros Nachos
Pulled Chicken and Black Bean Nacho Casserole
Blue Chilaquiles Verde with Eggs