- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 pounds ground chicken
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 3 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley, stemmed and chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried red chili flakes
- 1 cup marinara sauce, store-bought or homemade, divided
- 2 cups mozzarella, shredded
- 4 to 5 basil leaves, finely chopped, for garnish
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Heat olive oil in a medium-size skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add onions and sauté until softened and slightly browned, about 4-5 minutes. Add garlic and oregano, and continue to cook for 2-3 minutes or until fragrant. Season with salt and pepper, and remove from heat; reserve and cool.
In a large mixing bowl, combine ground chicken, eggs, breadcrumbs, milk, Parm, parsley, chili flakes, salt and pepper with your hands. Be careful not to overmix.
Place a piece of parchment paper on a large baking sheet. Place the chicken mixture on the baking sheet and form it into a long loaf shape. Spoon 1/2 cup of marinara sauce over the top of the meatloaf. Bake in the oven for 50-55 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 160°F.
Preheat your broiler. Top the meatloaf with remaining 1/2 cup marinara sauce and shredded mozzarella. Broil until bubbly and browned on top, about 1-2 minutes.
Garnish with basil leaves, sliced and serve.
Jessica Seinfeld's Turkey Meatloaf
Grilled Chicken & Eggplant Parm
Chicken Parm Meatballs