- Salt and pepper
- Cooking spray
- 5-6 tomatillos, large
- 1 onion, small peeled and quartered
- 2 jalapeno peppers
- 2 cloves garlic, large, cracked but left in skins
- 2 handfuls cilantro leaves
- 2 teaspoons honey, or light agave
- 2 teaspoons cumin, ground, divided
- 4 limes, Juice of
- 1 avocado, ripe
- 1 cup sour cream, Mexican crema or
- 1 red onion, small very thinly sliced in rings
- 2 pounds chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
- 3 tablespoons About extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 teaspoon each: granulated garlic, granulated onion, ground coriander, dried oregano
- 20-24 corn tortillas, charred over open flame or in hot dry skillet
- 1 1/2 cup Pepper Jack cheese, shredded Monterey Jack or
- 1 1/2 cup Swiss cheese, shredded
- 4 cups About shredded white cabbage or crispy iceberg lettuce
- jalapeno peppers, Pickled sliced
Heat broiler to high and place oven rack 1 slot down from top of oven. Line a small baking sheet with foil and arrange tomatillos, onion, jalapeno peppers and garlic on pan, spray with cooking spray, and season with salt and pepper. Char the ingredients evenly, then cool to handle. Peel and seed peppers, and remove garlic from skins. To a food processor bowl, add tomatillos, onions, peppers, garlic, a small handful of cilantro, honey or agave, about 1 teaspoon of ground cumin, 1/3 palm full, and juice of 1 lime, process salsa until almost smooth and adjust salt and pepper to taste. Place salsa in bowl and rinse food processor bowl and return to base.
To food processor bowl, add the avocado, crema or sour cream, a handful of cilantro, salt and juice of 1 lime. Process into a smooth sauce, and transfer to small bowl.
Place red onions in small bowl and toss with juice of 1 lime and salt and pepper.
Place chicken in freezer 10 minutes. Thinly slice chicken with chef’s knife on an angle against the grain. Pat the meat dry. Season the meat with salt and pepper.
Heat EVOO in large cast iron griddle or skillet over medium-high heat.
In a small dish or ramekin, combine the remaining cumin with the granulated garlic and onion, coriander and oregano.
Cook the chicken in a single layer and toss with spice blend. Cook chicken until crispy at edges and cooked through, douse meat with juice of 1 lime.
Build tacos: tortilla, cheeses, cabbage or lettuce, chicken, salsa, avocado sauce, jalapeno peppers and red onions.