- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 onions, quartered and thinly sliced
- Salt and white pepper or finely ground black pepper
- 1 large fresh bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme or Bell's Seasoning
- 1 cup beef stock or bone broth or turkey stock
- 4 large or 5 medium Russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup sour cream
- Chives, finely chopped, to garnish
In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter, and when it foams, add onions, season with salt and pepper, add bay and thyme or Bell's, and cook to soften 5 to 6 minutes. Add 1 cup water and turn up flame a bit and let water absorb, reduce heat to low and cook to light-medium caramel in color. Add stock and let it almost fully absorb until about ¼ cup remains, then cool to room temp.
Peel and cube potatoes. Cook in salted boiling water to tender, drain and mill or rice into hot pot. Add sour cream and the onions and combine, adjust salt to taste, top with chives to serve.