Rendered bacon fat serves as the flavorful base for Rach's dressing, which adds big flavor to a plain old spinach salad.
Rach uses this Hot Bacon Dressing in her Spinach Cobb Salad.
- 6 slices meaty bacon, finely chopped
- 2 large shallots (or 3 medium), finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- ⅓ cup cider vinegar
- ⅓ cup honey mustard, or 2 tablespoons honey and 3 tablespoons grainy Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped thyme
- Spinach leaves, for salad
- Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste (about ⅛ teaspoon)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
In a cast iron skillet, add the finely chopped bacon and render 3 minutes over medium-high to high heat. Add shallots and garlic, stir for 2 to 3 minutes. Add vinegar, mustard and thyme, remove from heat and whisk, add spinach and wilt a bit 1 minute, then add nutmeg and salt and pepper.