This Buffalo chicken casserole made with cauliflower is packed with protein + fat (hello, bacon) and gluten-free, so it's keto diet friendly.
- ½ pound meaty bacon, cooked & chopped (bake at 375˚F on slotted pan or wire rack-lined baking sheet to very crisp, about 18 minutes)
- 1 rotisserie chicken
- 1 large head cauliflower
- Non-aerosol cooking spray
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped or grated
- 2 small ribs celery with leafy tops, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped or grated
- 1 ½ cups half 'n' half
- 6 ounces cream cheese
- 1 jar chopped pimientos (4 ounces), drained well
- 2 teaspoons pimenton or smoked sweet paprika, or about ⅔ palmful
- ½ cup hot sauce (Rach's go-to is Frank's RedHot)
- 2 cups shredded yellow cheddar cheese
- 1 cup smoked blue cheese crumbles (or use additional cheddar)
- 4-5 scallions (green and white), cut on a bias
Preheat oven and bake bacon if using. Raise heat to 450˚F.
Remove skin from chicken, then remove meat from bones and pull meat into bite-sized pieces or chop.
Cut cauliflower into florets and slice core. Arrange cauliflower on parchment-lined baking sheet and spray with cooking spray, season with salt and pepper and roast 15 minutes.
In a straight-sided pan or a saucepot, melt butter, add the garlic, celery, and carrots, season with salt and pepper, and stir 2 minutes. Add half 'n' half and reduce heat to simmer, add cream cheese and melt into sauce, then add pimientos and smoked sweet paprika. Combine sauce with hot sauce and stir in 2 cups shredded cheese to melt. In a casserole combine the cauliflower and chicken with sauce. Top with blue and/or cheddar cheese and bake to brown and bubbly. Top with scallions and bacon bits, if using, and serve.