- Frying oil
- 1 cup AP flour
- ½ cup cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons Old Bay seasoning
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons dried lemon peel or fine lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper or other ground hot chili powder
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 ½ to 2 pounds medium to medium-large shrimp, tails off
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 4 cups white cheddar popcorn, homemade or store-bought
- ½ cup finely chopped fresh dill and chives, optional
- Heinz sweet chili sauce, for serving (optional)
- Homemade or store-bought cocktail sauce, for serving (optional)
Fill a deep fry pot with oil, about 2 quarts or 4 inches, and heat to 350˚F, between medium to medium-high heat.
Whisk up flour and cornmeal with Old Bay, sugar, lemon peel or zest, cayenne or chili powder, and salt in a bowl, then pour half into a large plastic food storage bag. Add shrimp to plastic bag and shake to coat, then arrange on parchment paper-lined tray.
In another bowl, whisk up eggs, milk and hot sauce.
Dip floured shrimp in egg, then in remaining spiced flour and fry in small batches to deep golden brown.
Toss shrimp with popcorn, then top with herbs and serve with sauces of choice.