Rach's Skillet Barbecue Beans is a yummy BBQ side dish you can make with canned pinto beans or black beans—whatever you have in the pantry!
For Cheesy Barbecue Beans, use any easy melting cheese such as shredded cheddar or pepper Jack (about 1 ½ cups). Cover pan handle with foil to protect it under broiler, and broil cheese to brown before serving.
Rach's Swap: You can use 1 cup ketchup instead of the tomato sauce, but also cut down the brown sugar to 2 tablespoons.
For the ultimate Memorial Day menu, serve these beans on the side along with Rach's Nacho Dogs, Chicago Dogs, Swiss Cheese Burgers With Horseradish-Ranch Sauce, Big Smack Burgers With Special Sauce AND John's Boozy Coffee Egg Cream Cocktail.
- 1 tablespoon olive or canola oil if using bacon, or 2 tablespoons if not using bacon
- ¼ pound meaty bacon, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 Vidalia or white onion, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 2 large cloves garlic, grated or chopped
- About 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- About 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- About 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 ½ tablespoons dry yellow mustard, or 3 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika, pimenton (a palmful)
- One 29-ounce can pinto or black beans, or two 14-ounce cans
- Chopped scallions or green onions, for topping
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add bacon, if using, and render 2 to 3 minutes. Add onions and season lightly with salt and heavily with coarse black pepper and soften a few minutes, then add garlic, grated or chopped, and stir a minute. Add vinegar, Worcestershire, sugar, tomato sauce, mustard and pimenton, then stir. Add beans and simmer 20 minutes to thicken and reduce sauce at a low bubble. Cover to keep warm and reheat to serve. Garnish beans with scallions.