If you've been stuck staring at the same walls for too long—whether in your home office or your kid's room-turned-virtual-classroom—you might be considering sprucing up the decor a bit. Since we can barely predict where we'll be this time next week, let alone next month or year, an inexpensive, no-commitment DIY could be just the thing.
Enter this TikTok hack for easy, removable wall decor that costs less than $5 and has virtually endless design possibilities. You won't need paint or wallpaper, or any fancy tools.
Here's what you need:
- Electrical tape
- Measuring tape or ruler
The best part about using electrical tape is that it should come off pretty cleanly with minimal damage to your walls, so it's easy to reposition or remake your pattern. (We suggest testing a small piece of tape in an inconspicuous spot before you go all out, though, just to be safe!)
Here's how to do it:
- Use a pencil and a measuring tape or ruler to lightly mark out your pattern, making sure your pencil marks can be easily erased. (You can skip this step if your pattern is relatively simple; it's up to you.)
- Measure and cut your tape to the necessary length(s).
- Place the tape on the wall in your desired pattern and press down so it sticks. That's it!
A single roll of tape costs less than $5, and it comes in a number of colors to complement your current decor. We love this violet shade:
If you need multiple colors to make your vision a reality, this pack of six basic shades is less than $7:
Want some pattern inspiration before you start?
Pennies For a Fortune blogger Fariha Nasir used electrical tape to create this adorable house-shaped outline in her son's room. We love how it stands out against the simple gray and white wall.
"Even though I own my home, I love using reversible DIYs because they're cheaper, easier and overall better for resale," Fariha says.
For another removable decor idea from Fariha, check out this damage-free board and batten wall DIY.
Here are some of our favorite ideas from TikTok, ranging from projects that took DIY-ers an hour or two of work, to more time intensive (but really incredible) projects.
1. This TikTok user says she always gets asked where she got her arrow "wallpaper," but it's really just electrical tape!
2. We're in awe of this floor-to-ceiling masterpiece using only black electrical tape.
3. This TikToker used cardboard cutouts to help space out the tape for his design.
4. How creative is this spooky tree for Halloween?
5. This TikToker proves you can pull this DIY trend off in any room of your house, including the bathroom.
6. It's hard to believe this cool construction crane design for a toddler's bedroom was made solely with white electrical tape…but believe it!
7. Metallic gold tape takes this DIY to a whole new level of wow.
You can always keep it simple and line up different colors of tape vertically, horizontally or diagonally to create minimalistic stripe designs. Or, try creating a classic grid design on your walls with electrical tape for a quick and easy take on this trend.