- 2 lemons
- 4 cups chicken bone broth or stock or vegetable broth, plus 2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Salt and white pepper (red pepper for spicier finish)
- 1½ cups Arborio or other short-grain rice of choice
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 teaspoon Acacia honey, or ½ teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 cup fresh basil, torn
- Finely chopped fresh mint, to serve
- Finely chopped pistachio, to serve
Zest the lemons. Halve and juice them.
Warm stock and water in medium saucepot.
Heat a round bottom pan over medium to medium-high heat with EVOO, add onions, garlic, lemon zest and salt and white or red pepper, and soften a few minutes, stirring frequently. Add rice and toast a minute or so more, add wine and let it absorb fully. Add stock in stages, a few ladles at a time, stirring vigorously to let the starches develop. Risotto should take 18 minutes after first addition of broth. Add honey, butter, juice of the 2 lemons and stir 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in cheese and basil, adjust seasonings and serve in shallow bowls topped with mint and pistachio.