- 2 pounds chicken tenders
- 2 quarts canola oil, for frying
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons dried lemon peel, or finely grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper or other ground hot chile powder
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (Rach's go-to is Frank's RedHot)
- ½ cup finely chopped fresh dill and chives, for garnish
Cut each chicken tender crosswise into three pieces.
Fill a deep pot with 3 ½ to 4 inches of oil and heat to 350°F (medium to medium-high heat).
In another medium bowl, whisk eggs, milk, and hot sauce. Shake excess flour off the chicken. Dip chicken in the egg mixture, then coat in the flour mixture left in the bowl. Working in batches, fry chicken until outside is deep golden brown and meat is cooked through, about 5 minutes. Top with ½ cup dill and chives.