Pick your favorite greens for this easy side dish that packs a little sweetness and crunch (from walnuts or hazelnuts).
This recipe is part of our 60-Minute Thanksgiving. Here's the full menu:
- ¾ cup peeled hazelnuts or walnuts, coarsely chopped
- ¾ cup dried dates, pitted and chopped
- 1 ½-2 pounds lacinato/flat kale or spinach
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 large shallots, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped or thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper
- Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- 2 tablespoons aged Balsamic vinegar or sherry vinegar
In a preheated 350˚F oven or skillet, toast nuts until fragrant and browned.
Place dates in a bowl and add just enough boiling water to cover, let them plump 10-15 minutes, drain and coarsely chop.
Stem the greens then wash and dry, and coarsely chop.
Heat a large skillet over medium to medium-high heat with EVOO, 4 turns of the pan. Add shallots and garlic, stir 2-3 minutes, add greens and wilt into pan and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Add dates and nuts and toss to combine, remove from heat and add Balsamic or sherry vinegar, drizzling evenly over top. Transfer greens to warm serving dish.