Which Plants Are Poisonous, Toxic Or Safe For Dogs?

This video is unavailable because we were unable to load a message from our sponsors.

If you are using ad-blocking software, please disable it and reload the page.

If you have a dog at home, you know there are some things you should immediately hide from them if you don’t want a trip to the vet. 

But your plants? You might not think of them as an immediate hazard.

Nevertheless, you should, because some are truly poisonous to our furry friends, veterinarian Dr. Courtney Campbell tells us. 

Here, the vet breaks down six of the most common plants and flowers — and how poisonous each one is to our precious pups. 

POISONOUS: Azaleas and Daffodils 

"If they get into these, even a little bit can be fatal," Dr. Courtney says. While daffodils can cause muscle tremors and seizures, azaleas can put your dog into a coma.

RELATED: Are Poinsettias Actually Poisonous to Your Pets?

TOXIC: Hydrangeas and Begonias

While not quite as bad as the plants in the "poisonous" category, both of these pretty, popular posies can cause an upset stomach with vomiting and diarrhea when ingested by pups. 

SAFE: Gerber Daisies and Boston Ferns 

As for the flowers in this group? "If they chew on it, they’re not going to love it," the doc says, "but they won't have major issues."

Obviously, this isn’t an exhaustive list. So Dr. Courtney says when in doubt, call Poison Control (800-222-1222). They can tell you immediately whether or not you should head to the vet, stat.

After all, you can never be too safe with your best friend! 

RELATED: This Genius Dog Eats Popcorn Out Of His Hood — And We're *Inspired*

You Might Like