- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 2% or whole milk
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 1/2 cups extra-sharp yellow cheddar, shredded
In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat. Once the butter has melted, whisk in flour and cook until it begins to smell nutty and fragrant, about 45-60 seconds. Whisk in milk and stock, and continue whisking vigorously until flour and butter have dissolved. Bring to sauce to a bubble and thicken, about 3-4 minutes. Once sauce is thick, remove from heat and mix in mustard and cheddar cheese. Stir until cheese is completely melted.