Lucky for you, it's one of Rach's specialties and it's so easy. Here's a basic step-by-step guide:
STEP 1: MAKE PIZZA DOUGH
"You can't make your own dough in 30 minutes, of course," Rach says. "But here's a simple recipe that makes two pizzas and you can keep them on hand in the freezer." You only need 5 ingredients: active yeast, EVOO, honey, salt and flour!
If you're in a hurry, use store-bought dough or grab some from your favorite local pizza place. (If you're in hurry AND feeling lazy, use this Skillet Recipe — you can skip the stovetop part and go straight into a 400˚F oven after adding sauce and toppings. Bake for about 25 minutes.)
STEP 2: PREP SKILLET + PREHEAT OVEN
Preheat a cast-iron skillet (Rach usually uses a 12-inch one) over medium-high heat on the stovetop or a grill. Sprinkle the pan with a mixture of cornmeal, flour and sugar. "This keeps the pizza from sticking on the bottom and it gives it great flavor," Rach explains. "[Plus], that little bit of sweetness [from the sugar] on the dough is delightful."
Preheat oven to 525-550˚F (basically as high as it goes) with the rack at center.
STEP 3: ADD PIZZA DOUGH
Immediately add your pizza dough, pressing down all over and up the sides of the skillet. (Reminder: The pan is hot so be careful not to burn yourself!)
STEP 4: ADD PIZZA SAUCE + TOPPINGS
Let the crust start to bubble up a bit before removing skillet from heat and spreading your pizza sauce evenly over the dough to the edges. (Don't forget that the pan will still be hot, though!)
Then top with your favorite cheese(s)! Here are some of Rach's go-tos:
- Shredded mozzarella
- Shredded provolone
- Pecorino (if you want your pizza extra salty)
- Parm (if you want your pizza extra buttery)
And your favorite toppings! Here are some of Rach's faves:
- Browned sausage
- Rotisserie chicken meat
- Thick-cut cooked beef brisket
- Cooked bacon (get the thick-cut kind, chop into cubes and pan fry)
STEP 5: BAKE
Transfer skillet to the oven and bake to deeply golden and brown on top for about 15 minutes. Let stand 5 to 10 minutes.
STEP 6: GET CREATIVE WITH GARNISHES
Top pizza with your favorite topping(s) and cut into 6 to 8 slices and serve.
Looking for topping inspiration? Look no further:
- Fresh basil, like in Rach's Tangy, Spicy Cast-Iron Skillet Pizza (watch her make this one in the video above!) — just don't forget to let the pizza cool before you add this, or else your basil will turn black!
- Homemade ranch dressing from Rach's Cowboy Pan Pizza
- Hot honey sauce from Rach's Hot Blonde Pan Pizza
- Or just stick to the traditional ones: red pepper flakes, oregano + granulated garlic